Through a series of online master classes with celebrated performers, composers, music industry professionals, and high-achieving women of color, this initiative aims to close the equity gap for racially minoritized youth from historically excluded communities by creating educational and inspiring content supporting music education, broadening the horizons and aspirations for young people, and inspiring the next generation of artists and leaders.
Each master class video is accompanied by a discussion guide that provides questions for facilitating conversations in classrooms and groups.
NAfME would like to thank the following subject matter experts for their contributions to this initiative:
Dr. Mackie Spradley
Dr. Georgiary Bledsoe
Dr. Sonya White Hope
Dr. Lenora Helm Hammonds
- Always Keep at It – Jennifer Hudson
- Recording a Song – Damien Sneed, Thai Long Ly, Idania Valencia
- Move in Fearlessness – Bryan-Michael Cox
- Engineering Artistry – Thai Long Ly
- Your Voice Is an Instrument – Lalah Hathaway
- You Have to Work Hard – Harvey Mason, Jr.
- Everything You’re Learning Has a Purpose – Damien Sneed
- The Final Polish – Idania Valencia
- The History of Funk – Dr. Scot Brown
- Know Your Craft – Kris Bowers
- Want It All – Bonnie Berry Lamon
- Education and Exploration – Kam Franklin
- The Power of Passion and Preparedness – Stephen Hill
- Be a Boss – Jessica Rodriguez
- Pave Your Own Way – Syreeta P. Butler
- Be Brave – Tina Farris