For the audition process to be fair and equitable, everyone must understand the audition requirements and procedures. If you are new to the process, please take time to review the audition requirements, procedures, and current revisions as listed in the WHSAA Handbook, page 88.
- Both etudes were composed so that an entire ensemble or small groups can work at the same time (percussion separate).
- Students play all scales by memory. No scale sheets or fingering charts permitted in the audition room.
- Scales are played in the written key (no transposing). Play the octave(s) written on the Wyoming All-State Scale Sheets.
- Pay close attention to all metronome markings. Only excerpts and scales performed between +/- 10 beats per minute will have the opportunity to receive full credit.
- NO use of metronomes by students during the audition (even on silent).
- Pay special attention to dynamics and articulation, as they are important deciding factors.
- Students will have 30 seconds to review the sight-reading. They may play aloud during this time.
- See Audition Materials below.
Order of Audition (see audition materials below):
- Dan Holroyd – WMEA Band Vice President
- East High School, 2800 E. Pershing, Cheyenne, WY 82001
- (307) 630-7090
The guest conductor of the All-State Band:
Travis J. Cross, who serves as professor of music at UCLA, where he conducts the Wind Ensemble, directs the graduate wind conducting program, and chairs the music department.
All-State Band Repertoire:
Undertow – by John Mackey
Memento – by Travis J. Cross
Inglesina (The Little English Girl) – by Davide Delle Cese/ed. John R. Bourgeois
Variations on a Korean Folk Song – By John Barnes Chance
You have the option to download each instrument (scales and etudes), or Etudes ALL , Scales ALL, or ALL instrument Scales and Etudes.
NOTE: Students auditioning who have an interest or ability to play Piccolo, English Horn, or Bass Trombone must perform the additional chromatic scale as listed on the audition. At the end of the normal audition, the student will then add the extra scale for the second instrument. The student will have 30 seconds to warm-up on that instrument.
- 16 Scales All Ints. 2020(R) PDF – 791 KB
- 10 French Horn 2020(R) PDF – 107 KB
- 17 All Etude Parts and Scales 2020 PDF – 2 MB
- 0 Etude Scores 2020 PDF – 264 KB
- 2020 Wyoming All-State Etude 2 All Parts and Score PDF – 144 KB
- 2020 Wyoming All-State Band Etude 1 All Parts and Score PDF – 320 KB
- 15 Percussion PDF – 170 KB
- 14 Tuba 2020 PDF – 125 KB
- 13 Euphonium 2020 PDF – 128 KB
- 12 Baritone T.C. 2020 PDF – 128 KB
- 11 Trombone 2020 PDF – 128 KB
- 9 Trumpet 2020 PDF – 129 KB
- 8 Baritone Saxophone 2020 PDF – 130 KB
- 7 Tenor Saxophone 2020 PDF – 128 KB
- 6 Alto Saxophone 2020 PDF – 130 KB
- 5 Bass Clarinet 2020 PDF – 137 KB
- 4 Bb Clarinet 2020 PDF – 132 KB
- 3 Bassoon 2020 PDF – 136 KB
- 2 Oboe 2020 PDF – 126 KB
- 1 Flute 2020 PDF – 146 KB