For the audition process to be fair and equitable, everyone must understand the audition requirements and procedures. If you are new to the process, please take time to review the audition requirements, procedures, and current revisions as listed in the WHSAA handbook, page 88.
- Students tune their instruments outside the audition room prior to the audition.
- Scoring is based on accuracy of pitch, rhythm, tone quality, articulation and musicality (see scoring rubric).
- Student use of metronomes is not permitted.
- Students may play their instruments during the 30 sec. sight reading preparation time.
Order of audition:
- Identification (instrument, Student #)
- First Scale
- Second Scale
- First Excerpt
- Second Excerpt
- Sight Reading
- Sarah McCoy – WMEA Orchestra Vice President
- Alta Vista Elementary
- 1514 E 16th, Cheyenne, WY 82001
All-State Orchestra 2020 Repertoire:
Carmen Suite No. 1 by Georges Bizet
A Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky
Berceuse and Finale from The Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky
The Guest Conductor for the 2020 All-State Orchestra:
Jerry Hou from the Shepherd School of Music at Rice University.
Click on Instrument name for scales and excerpts: