All-State Music Honor Groups
January 20-22, 2019, Kelly Walsh High School, Casper
The Wyoming High School Activities Association and the Wyoming Music Educators Association are pleased to provide a high quality rehearsal and performance opportunity for students through our All-State Honor Band, Orchestra, and Choir.
Schools should audition at the closest recording site regardless of district. Schools should contact the site chairperson to let them know of their intent to audition at the site and to find out when the auditions will be held at that site. (see list in grey navigation boxes)
To audition for All-State honor groups, students must:
- be in grades 9-12 only.
- apply through the appropriate school music teacher.
- be enrolled in a school group corresponding to the All-State group for which they apply unless an appropriate group does not exist.
- be a member school of WHSAA (including home schools).
- audition for one group only.
- be enrolled both at the time of application AND at the time of the All-State event.
- meet WHSAA eligibility requirements for state events.
- be chosen by live, recorded auditions.
Audition Procedures and Instructions:
- Download the ensemble specific audition materials and selection rubrics (see gray navigation boxes at right).
- Each student must complete an online registration by Monday, October 15th. Registration Link: https://www.Bandworld.org/Audition.aspx?eID=198
- Refer to All-State Registration Instructions for help with the process.
- Registration closes Monday, October 15th, 11:59:59 PM. No registrations are accepted after the registration window closes.
- Each school will receive an invoice from WMEA by October 17th.
- Schools should make payment or provide proof of payment to WMEA, via the WMEA website. Payment, or proof of payment, must be made by October 25th.
- After October 17th, payments or proof of payment are made through http://wyomea.org/all-state-auditions-payment/
- Fees must be paid by group or school (i.e. one payment for Rawlins Schools, or one payment for Sheridan Choir).
- Payment may be in the form of a school voucher, purchase order, or credit card. Checks may be accepted in advance of the October 25th deadline. No cash or student checks.
- For your students to be considered, all registered applicant fees, including scratches, are paid in advance.
- Vice Presidents will make selections for the All-State Honor Groups and provide a detailed list to WHSAA. Directors will receive an informational email of their students on November 26th. The WHSAA will release the official roster for the honor ensembles on November 27th, via online posting at www.whsaa.org.
- Directors should submit the OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM to WHSAA by December 15. The form may be found on the wyomea.org website, All-State section, and will also be emailed to all participating schools via the music director.
Audition Site Specific Information
- Percussion students supply their own sticks and mallets, or their own instruments if they wish.
- Each student must supply their own wind instruments, audition material, and anything else needed for the audition. Metronomes are not allowed.
- All students must be recorded within the specified time span – any exceptions may be worked out with the site chairperson as long as the recording deadline is met.
- Recording may not be paused once the audition has started.
- It is the site chairperson’s responsibility to disqualify any student or school who violates the integrity of the audition process; this includes any discussion of scales, sight-reading material, excerpts, etc.
- Directors may be in the audition room with their students as a silent observer. The director may record the audition to evaluate with the student at a later time.
- The tempo should be given for the sight-reading only. Students may not use their own metronome.
Auditions may occur anytime from October 26th through November 3rd. (End of week 17 to the end of week 18 on the WHSAA calendar) The site chair, in conjunction with the schools auditioning at that site, will determine exact audition times.
Site Chairs may also provide an alternate date, during the audition window, for students with school activity related conflicts. Arrangements should be made in advance with the site chair.
Please refer to the WHSAA Handbook, pages 86 – 90, and this website (www.wyomea.org) for further information on the All-State Audition procedure.
The General Audition Information is excerpted from the Music Section of the WHSAA Handbook. TO AVOID CONFUSION PLEASE READ THE 2018/19 WHSAA HANDBOOK AT whsaa.org.