For the audition process to be fair and equitable, everyone must understand the audition requirements and procedures. If you are new to the process, please take time to review the audition requirements, procedures, and current revisions as listed in the WHSAA Handbook, page 88.
- Both etudes were composed so that an entire ensemble or small groups can work at the same time (percussion separate).
- Students play all scales by memory. No scale sheets or fingering charts permitted in the audition room.
- Scales are played in the written key (no transposing). Play the octave(s) written on the Wyoming All-State Scale Sheets.
- Pay close attention to all metronome markings. Only excerpts and scales performed between +/- 10 beats per minute will have the opportunity to receive full credit.
- NO use of metronomes by students during the audition (even on silent).
- Pay special attention to dynamics and articulation, as they are important deciding factors.
- Students will have thirty seconds to review the sight-reading. They may play aloud during this time.
- Students wishing to audition for piccolo must play the supplemental etude at the end of the flute audition.
- See Audition Materials below.
Order of Audition (see audition materials below):
- Dan Holroyd – WMEA Band Vice President
- East High School, 2800 E. Pershing, Cheyenne, WY 82001
- (307) 630-7090
The guest conductor of the All-State Band:
Travis J. Cross, who serves as professor of music at UCLA, where he conducts the Wind Ensemble, directs the graduate wind conducting program, and chairs the music department.
All-State Band Repertoire:
Undertow – by John Mackey
Memento – by Travis J. Cross
Inglesina (The Little English Girl) – by Davide Delle Cese/ed. John
Variations on a Korean Folk Song – By John Barnes Chance
You have the option to download each instrument (scales and etudes), or Etudes ALL and Scales ALL.
|Oboe||Alto Saxophone||French Horn||Tube|
|Bb Clarinet||Baritone Saxophone||Baritone T.C.|
|Etude #1 ALL||Etude #2 ALL||Band Scales ALL||Etude #1 and #2 – Scores|
NOTE: Students auditioning who have an interest or ability to play Piccolo, English Horn, or Bass Trombone must perform the additional chromatic scale as listed on the audition. At the end of the normal audition, the student will then add the extra scale for the second instrument. The student will have 30 seconds to warm-up on that instrument.