Middle School Schedules

Home Forums Band Middle School Schedules

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

As is the case in many districts, our district is looking for “creative” ways to schedule that would allow more time for academics. I would like to be proactive and come up with alternative schedules that would not diminish the quality of the student experience in a music class. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in any and all schedules. Please list both pros and cons of your schedule. Thanks for your help!

At Riverton:
    1st period: I teach 6th brass and Aric teaches 6th percussion
    2nd period: I teach 7th brass and Aric teaches 7th percussion
    3rd period: I teach 8th winds and Aric teaches 8th percussion
    4th period: I teach 6th woodwinds
    5th: Lunch
    6th period: I teach 7th woodwinds.

Pros: Having percussion in their own class is fantastic. There’s hardly any seeing how they can stack chairs, lighting things on fire, etc. Splitting up ww/brass in 6th/7th allows more to focus on issues specific to those instruments without the other having to sit for extended periods of time. If I want to take half the class and do mouthpiece buzzing, I can!

Cons: in 6th/7th we only get the dress rehearsal to have the entire band play together. It has never been a huge issue before but I suppose that’s a down side to it.

In Cowley at Rocky Mountain Middle & High School:

1st Hour – 6th Grade Band Split into Woodwinds=Tuesday/Thursday & Brass=MWF. On their off days they go into choir with the other teacher
    2nd Hour – Guitar on stage while 7th and 8th grade choir is in the band room.
    3rd Hour – Homeroom (I can have sectionals on Thursdays and Fridays, Percussion Ensemble on Mondays and Tuesdays, and/or Jazz Band during this time)
    4th Hour – High School Band
    5th Hour – 7th/8th Grade Band
    6th Hour – Prep
    7th Hour – High School Choir A
    8th Hour – High School Choir B

Pros: I have 8 periods a day which allows more students to participate in music classes. Homeroom is great so I can meet with certain sections specifically. With the woodwind and brass split for 6th grade, it allows me to really teach the details of fundamentals from the very beginning.

Cons: Homeroom is sometimes used for assemblies and other homeroom activities, so I often have to give up class time for Percussion Ensemble, Jazz Band, and sectionals so they can have homeroom time. Guitar and Percussion Ensemble need to be switched around to where I see the percussion students every day and the guitar students only 2 – 3 days a week. Right now, it’s backwards and is not helping my program. Even with an 8 period day, the Hathaway scholarship takes my students away from my program as they progress through high school resulting in a smaller program at the high school level.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.